Tolo Channel or Chek Mun Hoi Hap (Chinese :赤門海峽) is a channel south of Plover Cove in Hong Kong connecting Tolo Harbour to Mirs Bay. At Mirs Bay end, it is named North Channel.
The Chinese name Chek Mun means Red Gate. Hoi Hap is the modern term for a sea channel. It is named red gate for the distinctive red-coloured sedimentary rocks (rich in iron) to its north.
The channel is the most obvious geologic fault in Hong Kong; the fault line runs in a south-westerly direction through Tide Cove towards Lai Chi Kok. The rocks at the north of the channel are sedimentary while those at the south are igneous. The rocks along the north coast of Tolo Channel and at Wong Chuk Kok Tsui are the oldest in Hong Kong.
Sham Shung Coast, a belt of coast between Sham Chung Wan (深涌灣; 'Sham Chung Bay') and Tung King Pai (Flat Reef), located on the southern side of Tolo Channel and in the north-eastern part of Sai Kung Peninsula, covering an area of 26 hectares, was designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1985.
Hong Kong has a long coastline that is full of twists and turns with many bays and beaches. Many of them are well sheltered by mountains nearby, as Hong Kong is a mountainous place. As a result, large waves seldom appear at the bays, making them suitable for human swimming.
Mirs Bay is a bay in the northeast of Kat O and Sai Kung Peninsula of Hong Kong. The north and east shores are surrounded by Yantian and Dapeng New District of Shenzhen. Ping Chau stands in the midst of the bay.
Ma Liu Shui is an area in Sha Tin District, in the New Territories, Hong Kong.
Plover Cove also known for its Chinese names Shuen Wan Hoi or Shuen Wan (船灣), is a cove in the Tai Po District of Hong Kong, near Tolo Channel and Tolo Harbour.
Plover Cove Country Park is a country park in Hong Kong located in the Northeastern New Territories. The original country park was established on 7 April 1978, covering 4,594 hectares of natural terrain in the administrative North District and Tai Po District. A northern extension to the park, Plover Cove (Extension) Country Park, was designated on 1 June 1979, covering the Double Haven islets and Ping Chau.
Three Fathoms Cove or Kei Ling Ha Hoi is a cove in Tai Po District, Hong Kong.
Port Island or Chek Chau is an island of Hong Kong, under the administration of Tai Po District. It is located in Tolo Channel, in the northeastern New Territories. Its name literally means red island; after the sedimentary rocks rich in iron that form this island. and volcanoes
A Site of Special Scientific Interest or SSSI is a special area to protect wildlife, habitats and geographic features based on scientific interest in Hong Kong. Scientific interests are special features relating to animal life, plant life, geology and/or geography. After being identified by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, these areas are documented by the Planning Department and added to maps. From 1975 to 2005, 67 locations were designated SSSIs throughout Hong Kong.
Wong Chuk Kok Tsui, formerly known as Bluff Head, is a cape in north east New Territories, Hong Kong. Administratively, it is part of North District and Tai Po District.
Articles related to Hong Kong include:
The geology of Hong Kong is dominated by igneous rocks formed during a major volcanic eruption period in the Mesozoic era. It made up 85% of Hong Kong's land surface and the remaining 15% are mostly sedimentary rocks located in the northeast New Territories. There are also a very small percentage of metamorphic rocks in New Territories. These are formed by deformation of pre-existing sedimentary rocks which changed its mineral assemblages (metamorphism).
Hong Kong UNESCO Global Geopark, formerly Hong Kong National Geopark (香港國家地質公園), was inaugurated on 3 November 2009. It is a single entity of land area over 150 km2 across parts of the eastern and northeastern New Territories. On 18 September 2011, UNESCO listed the geopark as part of its Global Geoparks Network.
Lai Chi Chong is a village and an area of Hong Kong, located on the southeastern shore of Tolo Channel, and on the northern shore of the Sai Kung Peninsula, in the Eastern New Territories. Administratively, it is part of Tai Po District.
Sham Chung is a Hakka village and an area of Neolithic settlement in Hong Kong. It is located in the south of Tolo Channel, beside Three Fathoms Cove on the Sai Kung Peninsula. Administratively, it is part of Tai Po District.