ALBtelecom Mobile

Last updated
Native name
ALBtelecom Mobile
FormerlyEagle Mobile
Industry Telecommunications
FoundedMarch 2008
Headquarters Tirana, Albania
Key people
Tahsin Yilmaz
Products Prepaid and postpaid mobile phones
Owner ALBtelecom

ALBtelecom Mobile, formerly known as Eagle Mobile, is a mobile communication company that operates in Albania. Back in March 2008, it was first founded as a subsidiary of ALBtelecom, which had been privatized in October 2007, with a majority of shares sold by the Albanian government to a consortium of two Turkish companies; Calik Holding and Türk Telekom. Calik possesses 80% of the company and Türk Telekom the remaining 20%.



Eagle Mobile is a former brand name of ALBtelecom based in Albania and, starting from August 2017, it became known as ALBtelecom Mobile.

The former Eagle Mobile, entered as the 3rd operator of mobile telephony in Albania on 12 March 2008.

The operator was established on October 23, 2003 from the Albanian government as an integral part of ALBtelecom, a fixed telephony operator in Albania.

The privatization started in 2005 and was finalised on September 28, 2007 when one of the biggest companies in Turkey, Çalik Group, purchased 76% of the shares along with its partner Turk Telekom. The other 24% of the shares belong to the Albanian government.


The agreement was signed from the Minister of Economy, Trade and Energy, Genc Ruli and the President of Çalik Holding, Ahmet Çalik, in Tirana. In March 2008, the prime ministers of Albania and Turkey, Sali Berisha and Recep Tayyip Erdogan greeted each other upon a symbolic "ALO” which opened officially the communication of Eagle Mobile, the company which carried the symbol of Albania and Albanians, the Eagle.

Eagle Mobile entered the Albanian market of telecommunication on March 12, 2008. In a very short period of 6 months, Eagle Mobile covered the entire territory of the country by exceeding its speed and predictions for network set up. On December 31, 2008, the company attained coverage by 97% of the population of the country and 90.7% of the territory of the country and provided services to the whole Albania.

ALBtelecom and Eagle invested 150 million Euro, providing job possibilities to around 1000 Albanian professionals, the majority of them women. With the network made by more than 377 base stations Eagle has the best coverage with 92.5 percent of the territory and 98.5 percent of population.

Back in 2013, Eagle had more than 1,470,000 subscribers,[ citation needed ] and 150 shops across Albania.

The CEO of ALBtelecom Mobile is Tahsin Yilmaz.

The display name of ALBtelecom is: ALBtelecom but some phones might display the old name which was EAGLE AL.


ALBtelecom Mobile (former Eagle) is the third operator in Albania to provide 3G technology. In February 2012 a tender for the third 3G license in Albania where the minimum acceptable price was 12.5 million failed after Eagle mobile offered €3.55 million and Plus offered €3.55 million. [1] Another tender was held in October of the same year. This time it was for two 3G licenses and the starting bid was 4 million euros. Eagle Mobile offered 4.355 million Euros while Plus only 1, making Eagle the only one to acquire the 3G license. The first 3G license was won by Vodafone Albania, bidding 31,4 million Euros and the second one by AMC after a 15.1 million Euros bid. [2]

In the beginning of 2013 Eagle Mobile launched its first 3G network, with coverage initially available in the region of Tirana, Fushëkruja and Airport. [3]

Market share

Albania had, in 2012, 5.3 million subscribers (187% penetration rate), out of which there were 3.2 million active users (114% penetration rate). An active user is the number of users that communicated in the last three months. [4]

The regulatory authority for telecommunication in Albania is the Electronic and Postal Communications Authority.

(in millions)
1 Vodafone GSM-900/1800
1.839 or 34.76% (2012) Vodafone
2 Telekom GSM-900/1800
1.736 or 32.82% (2012) Deutsche Telecom
3ALBtelecom Mobile GSM-900/1800
1.304 or 24.66% (2012) Albtelecom
4 Plus GSM-900/18000.410 or 7.76% (2012) Plus Communication

See also

Related Research Articles

Telecommunications in Albania include radio, television, fixed and mobile telephones, and the Internet.


Celcom Axiata Berhad, DBA Celcom, is the oldest mobile telecommunications provider in Malaysia. Celcom is a member of the Axiata group of companies.

OTE Greek telecommunication company

Hellenic Telecommunications Organisation S.A., OTE Group is the largest technology company in Greece. It is one of the three largest companies listed in the Athens Stock Exchange, according to market capitalization.

Magyar Telekom

Magyar Telekom Nyrt. is the largest Hungarian Telecommunications company. The former monopolist is now a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom. Until 6 May 2005, it was known as MATÁV. The company was formed under the name of Magyar Távközlési Vállalat in December 1989, when Magyar Posta was split to three separate enterprises. On 31 December 1991, the company was re-structured as a Public Limited Company, as Magyar Távközlési Rt., and the company remained in 100% state ownership until the end of 1993. On 1 July 1993, the Telecommunications Act came into effect, and now it was possible to privatize the company. A consortium was formed by Deutsche Telekom and Ameritech International, which was named MagyarCom, and bought into the company a share of 30.1% for a price of 875 million USD.

Tele2 Multinational telecommunications company

Tele2 AB is a European telecommunications operator headquartered in the Kista Science City, Stockholm, Sweden. It is a major telephone operator in Sweden, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, with about 9 million customers across the 4 countries. Tele2 also has a 25% share in T-Mobile Netherlands.

Türk Telekom Turkish telecommunications company

Türk Telekom is the formerly state-owned Turkish telecommunications company. Türk Telekom was separated from Turkish Post (PTT) in 1995.

TT Mobil İletişim Hizmetleri A.Ş,, currently operating under the Türk Telekom brand, is the sole GSM 1800 mobile operator of Turkey, was founded in 2004, and has reached a nationwide customer base of 17 million as of September 30, 2015.

Mobitel (Slovenia)

Mobitel was a Slovenian GSM/UMTS/LTE mobile operator. The company merged with Telekom Slovenije in 2013.

Telenor Serbia

Telenor Serbia is a Serbian mobile network operator, owned by the Czech investment group PPF and formerly a subsidiary of Telenor. It is headquartered in Belgrade, Serbia.

Telekom Srbija

Telekom Srbija a.d. Beograd is a Serbian state-owned telecommunications operator. It was founded in June 1997 as a joint-stock company by spinning off the telecommunications business from PTT Srbija. In April 2015, Telekom Srbija started providing all services in Serbia under the mts brand.

COSMOTE MOBILE TELECOMMUNICATIONS S.A. known as just Cosmote is the largest mobile network operator in Greece. The company is headquartered in Athens and is a fully owned subsidiary of the Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE), the incumbent telecommunications provider in Greece. COSMOTE has developed business operations in two other South East Europe countries through subsidiaries: Telekom Albania and Telekom Romania, addressing an extended market of 45 million people. In all three countries COSMOTE counts approximately 35.6 million customers.

Vodafone Albania is part of Vodafone Group Plc, one of the world's largest telecommunications companies.

Vodafone Hungary, is the third largest mobile operator in Hungary. It started operations in 1999 after securing the third GSM 900/1800 MHz licence of the country and it was the first provider operating in the DCS-1800 band in Hungary. Vodafone is the third largest mobile network operator of the country again. The operator had a share of ~27% of the market in 2020Q2. They controlled approx. 27% of the market in December of 2019. Market share The full report about the number of subscribers is available at: link *2020 --> Full Year --> Spreadsheet --> Regional results

ALBtelecom SH.a. was established as Albania's state company that provided telecommunications services through a fixed network. On 5 December 1912 the Provisional Government led by Ismail Qemali established the Ministry of Post Telegraph Telephones, where ALBtelecom existed only as a government office. It is the largest fixed line telephone company in the country, currently covering with Optical Fiber Backbone Network the entire territory of Albanian cities.

Galatasaray Mobile

Galatasaray Mobile or GS Mobile is a Turkish virtual cellular service provider owned by Galatasaray SK that uses the Avea GSM network for coverage. The company slogan is "one team, one heart, one network".

Plus Communication

PLUS ALBANIA Communication SH.A. was a idefunct Albanian-owned and operated telecommunications company. It was the 4th mobile operator in Albania by number of subscribers.

One Telecommunications

One Telecommunications is a telecommunications company that operates in Albania, previously as Albanian Mobile Communications (AMC), and as Telekom Albania. AMC was part of the COSMOTE Group from 2000, and in 2008 joined the Deutsche Telekom group.

Telekom Romania

Telekom Romania is a Romanian telecommunications company headquartered in Bucharest. It is the result of the brand merger between Romtelecom and Cosmote România. Although it is a subsidiary of OTE, a Greek telecommunications company, the company shares the branding of Deutsche Telekom, OTE's controlling shareholder.


  1. "Third 3G tender ends in failure". TeleGeography.
  2. "3G license with two offers, 4 Million and 1 Euro". Albanian Screen.
  3. "Eagle Mobile Launches 3G Network in Albania". Cellualr-news.
  4. "2012 yearly report (in Albanian)" (PDF). Electronic and Postal Communications Authority. AKEP. Retrieved 7 June 2013.[ permanent dead link ]