Toepfer International

Last updated

Toepfer International (Alfred C. Toepfer International G.m.b.H.) was a German-based commodity trading firm.

Founded by Alfred Toepfer in 1919, it was based in Hamburg, Germany. The company did most of the grain trading for the global food and agribusiness corporation Archer Daniels Midland, which owned 80% of its stock. The other 20% of the stock was held by the French company InVivo. [1]

In 2014, ADM International completed the takeover of Toepfer International. The Toepfer office in Hamburg was renamed ADM Germany GmbH and dealt with the marketing and distribution of feedstuffs in Germany and the Benelux countries. [2]

Related Research Articles

McKesson Europe

McKesson Europe AG, with its headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany is a leading international wholesale and retail company and provider of logistics and services in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. The company had around 37,000 employees at the end of the 2019 financial year and is represented in 13 countries in Europe. In the 2019 financial year the company achieved a turnover of EUR 21.18 billion. The majority shareholder of the company is the US-based McKesson Corporation, which holds a share of 77.01%. The remaining 22.99% of shares are available on the open market. Kevin Kettler, a US citizen, has been Chairman of McKesson Europe since 1 November 2018.

Edel SE & Co. KGaA is a German independent media company based in Hamburg. As a label and publishing group, it also operates marketing and sales for artists and smaller music labels. The repertoire of the Edel labels includes dance, rock and pop music to classical music and a children's catalogue. In addition to the development and marketing of music, the group also deals with the production, logistics and distribution of CDs, DVDs, vinyls, and books at the production site of the subsidiary optimal media GmbH in Röbel/Müritz as well as with services in the online and book business.

Otto GmbH & Co KG is a German mail order company and currently one of the world's biggest e-commerce companies. It is based in Hamburg, and operates in more than twenty countries. Otto is primarily a retail e-commerce company, and as a shareholder, it also operates in e commerce services. The Otto group has expanded into real estate and financial services.


Simmering-Graz-Pauker AG (SGP), founded as Simmering-Graz-Pauker AG für Maschinen-, Kessel- und Waggonbau, was an important Austrian machine and engine factory, manufacturing: machinery, boilers and rail vehicles. It was established in 1941 through the merger of Simmering machinery and rolling stock company with the Graz machine and rolling stock company and the Paukerwerkstraße Corporation from Vienna.

The Herder Prize, named after the German philosopher Johann Gottfried Herder (1744–1803), was a prestigious international prize awarded every year to scholars and artists from Central and Southeast Europe whose life and work have contributed to the cultural understanding of European countries and their peaceful interrelations. Established in 1963, the first prizes were awarded in 1964.

Rheinmetall Automotive is the Automotive sector of the parent group Rheinmetall. The company emerged in 1997 through the merger of KS Kolbenschmidt GmbH, Neckarsulm, and Pierburg GmbH, Neuss. Hence, at its various traditional locations the company is commonly known as Kolbenschmidt or Pierburg. 40 production plants in Europe, the Americas, Japan, India and China employ a total workforce of around 11,000. Products are developed in cooperation with international auto manufacturers. Rheinmetall Automotive ranks among the 100 biggest auto industry suppliers worldwide and is an important partner to the industry for such products as exhaust gas recirculation systems, secondary-air systems, coolant pumps, and pistons for car gasoline engines and as well as for the commercial vehicle sector.

Metronom Eisenbahngesellschaft mbH is a German non-entirely-state-owned railway company based in Uelzen, Lower Saxony since December 2005. The company's activities focus exclusively on passenger transport, operating services from Hamburg to Bremen, Lüneburg and Uelzen, and from Uelzen to Hannover and Göttingen. Services listed on the timetables are abbreviated ME. Furthermore, the company operates services from Wolfsburg to Hannover and Hildesheim under its other brand Enno.

Tele Columbus

Tele Columbus is a large cable provider in Germany with 3.6 million connected households on network level 4. The company was formed in November 2006 following the merger of Tele Columbus GmbH and ewt multimedia GmbH. In 2015, Tele Columbus acquired Primacom and Pepcom. In addition to analogue television, their range of products includes digital television, internet, and telephone via broadband. Besides its headquarter in Berlin the Company has locations in Hamburg, Leipzig, Ratingen, and Unterföhring (Munich). Since January 2015 Tele Columbus AG is traded on the regulated market of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and since June 2015 listed in the SDAX.

The Alfred Toepfer Stiftung F.V.S. is a German foundation established in 1931 by the Hamburg merchant Alfred Toepfer. The foundation is committed to promoting European unification and ensuring cultural diversity and understanding between the countries of Europe.


K+S AG is a German chemical company headquartered in Kassel. The company is Europe’s largest supplier of potash for use in fertilizer and, after the acquisition of Morton Salt, the world's largest salt producer. The firm also produces and distributes other mineral fertilizers, such as those from magnesium and sulphur. K+S is mainly active in Europe, North and South America with almost 15,000 employees worldwide (2014).

The KAIROS Prize has been awarded to European artists and scholars from the fields of visual and performing arts, music, architecture, design, film, photography, literature and journalism since 2007 by the Alfred Toepfer Foundation in Hamburg. It is endowed with a sum of 75,000 Euro.


Aurubis AG is listed on the stock exchange and is the largest copper producer in Europe and the largest copper recycler worldwide. Its headquarters is in Hamburg, Germany. After the acquisition of the Belgian copper producer Cumerio by Norddeutsche Affinerie AG on 18 February 2008, the company re-branded itself as Aurubis as of 1 April 2009.

Union Investment

Union Investment is the investment arm of the DZ Bank Group and part of the cooperative financial services network. It was founded in 1956 and is headquartered in Frankfurt.

Alfred Toepfer

Dr. Alfred Carl Toepfer was a German entrepreneur, owner of the company Toepfer International and founder of the Alfred Toepfer Foundation. He helped shaped the original internal markets of the European Coal and Steel Community, and was a philanthropist known for his celebration of the arts, sciences, and nature.

Evotec German biopharmaceutical company

Evotec SE is a publicly listed drug discovery and development company headquartered in Hamburg, Germany. The company operates globally, largely through external alliances with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, academic institutions, patient advocacy groups, and venture capitalists. As of December 31, 2019, Evotec had a market capitalization of €3.47 billion and a pipeline of more than 100 partnered programs in discovery, pre-clinical development and clinical development.

Hugo Stinnes Schiffahrt German logistics company

Hugo Stinnes Schiffahrt GmbH is a shipping company based in Rostock, Germany which specializes in container service between Germany and South Africa, and in transporting cargo between Northern Europe, the Caribbean and Mexico. It was part of the former conglomerate Hugo Stinnes GmbH.


Delticom AG is a listed company based in Hanover. It operates 140 online shops in 42 countries selling car and motor cycle tyres and a range of accessories to both private and corporate customers. Delticom is Europe's largest online tyre retailer with sales of over €500 million per year.

CTS Eventim is a German company in the leisure-events market, with ticketing and live entertainment, headquartered in Bremen. It is one of the 60 companies comprising the MDAX index, and one of the 30th to 90th largest companies in Germany by market capitalisation.

Deutsche Cannabis AG is a private equity firm backing businesses engaged in cannabis-related ventures since 2014. It was created by the reverse takeover of F.A.M.E. AG, a Munich-based film and music production company. Shares are traded on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.

Computec Media GmbH is a German computer media company headquartered in Fürth. It is a subsidiary of the Swiss Marquard Media Group. The company publishes multiple magazines and websites related to computers, video gaming and media.


  1. "Our shareholders make perfect partners". Alfred C. Toepfer International. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
  2. "ADM Germany GmbH". ADM. Retrieved 2020-09-30.