Animal Planet Nordic

Last updated
Animal Planet Nordic
2018 Animal Planet logo.svg
Launched1997
Owned by Discovery Networks Northern Europe
Broadcast areaNordic countries
Availability
Terrestrial
Boxer (Sweden)Channel 20
dna Welho (Finland)Channel 85
Satellite
Cable
Com Hem (Sweden)Channel 41
Tele2 TV (Sweden)Channel 43
dna Welho (Finland)Channel 124
Channel 219 (HD)
IPTV
FastTV (Sweden)Channel 16
Telia Digital-TV (Sweden)Channel 20

Animal Planet Nordic is a television channel broadcasting nature-related documentaries to the Nordic countries.

Animal Planet was launched in the Nordic region in 1997. [1] In 2001, the channel received a license to broadcast in the digital terrestrial network in Sweden. By 2008, the channel had regularly been one of the twenty most watched channels in Sweden for a few years. From 2007, the channel is also broadcast terrestrially in Norway via the RiksTV package.

For its first ten years in existence, the channel used a logo with a globe and an elephant which was also used by its sister channels. On 1 October 2008 the channel switched a new logo, which had previously been adopted by Animal Planet in the United States. [2]

A high-definition version of the channel, called Animal Planet HD, was launched on 3 February 2009. That made the Nordic region the first region to get a high-definition version of Animal Planet after the United States. The high-definition channel used to have a separate schedule in order to broadcast only high-definition programmes. [3]

Animal Planet Nordic has been replaced by the pan-European feed. The commercials on Animal Planet Europe show three air times depending on the country you live in. The Eastern European time zone is marked with "Suomi" for Finnish viewers. [4]

Programs shown on the channel include:

Related Research Articles

Viasat is a satellite and pay television brand, co-owned by the Swedish media group Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT) in the Nordic countries, Sony Pictures Television in Hungary, and by Viasat World internationally. Founded in Sweden in 1991, Viasat has previously been owned by Modern Times Group. The channels of both companies are broadcast from London.

Eurosport is a pan-European television sports network, owned and operated by Discovery, Inc. Discovery took a 20 per cent minority interest share in December 2012, and became the majority shareholder in the Eurosport venture with TF1 in January 2014, taking a 51 per cent share of the company. On 22 July 2015 Discovery agreed to acquire TF1's remaining 49 per cent stake in the venture.

TVNorge is a Norwegian television channel.

Science Channel American pay television channel

Science Channel is an American pay television channel that is owned by Discovery, Inc. The channel features programming focusing on the fields of wilderness survival, ufology, manufacturing, construction, technology, space, prehistory and animal science.

Canal Digital is a Nordic pay TV and internet service provider in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland that was founded in March 1997 as a joint venture between the French pay TV company Canal+ and the Norwegian telecommunications operator Telenor. Since 2003, Canal Digital is fully owned by Telenor.

Discovery Channel is the Swedish language version of the Discovery Channel, using a "factual entertainment" concept similar to the original American channel. As of 2006, it was the eighth most watched channel in Sweden (MMS).

SVT HD

SVT HD was a high-definition television channel from Swedish public broadcaster Sveriges Television (SVT). The channel broadcasts high-definition simulcasts of programmes from the other SVT channels, where available.

Discovery HD television station

Discovery HD is the international name of the high-definition television channels from Discovery Communications.

Digital terrestrial television was launched in Sweden in 1999. The shutdown of the analogue equivalent started on September 19, 2005, and was finalized on October 15, 2007.

There are four major forms of digital television (DTV) broadcast in the United Kingdom: a direct-to-home satellite service from the Astra 28.2°E satellites provided by Sky UK, a cable television service provided by Virgin Media ; a free-to-air satellite service called Freesat; and a free-to-air digital terrestrial service called Freeview. In addition, an IPTV system known as BT Vision is provided by BT. Individual access methods vary throughout the country. 77% of the United Kingdom has access to HDTV via terrestrial digital television. Satellite is the only source of HDTV broadcast available for the remaining 23%.

Television in Sweden began in Sweden in 1954 with the first test transmissions, prior to the opening of the first station, Radiotjänst, two years later. A second channel was launched in 1969. Commercial television arrived in the 1980s through cable television and in 1992, the country's first terrestrial commercial channel was launched.

The Netherlands now has three major forms of broadcast digital television. Terrestrial (DVB-T), Cable (DVB-C), and Satellite (DVB-S). In addition IPTV services are available. At the end of the first quarter of 2013 almost 84% of the households in the Netherlands had some form of digital television.

Discovery Travel & Living was a European television channel broadcasting to several countries in Europe. Much of the schedule was taken up by programmes about real estate, most notably A Place in the Sun and its spinoffs, as well as House Doctor.

Discovery Channel is a Norwegian television channel.

Animal Planet (Polish TV channel)

Animal Planet is a Polish television channel and was launched in Poland in October 1997. From the very beginning the channel broadcast documentaries devoted to animals and wildlife. The broadcast of the channel was created specially for the needs of the Polish market.

Discovery Channel is an Italian television channel.

Animal Planet (Dutch TV channel)

Animal Planet is a Dutch pay television channel broadcasting nature-related documentaries in the Netherlands and Flanders. The channel launched as a Pan-European feed on 1 July 1997. It is operated by Discovery Benelux.

BBC HD is an international high-definition television channel provided by BBC Studios. In many countries the channel has been replaced by other BBC Studios operations. At present, the channel is only available in Turkey, selected cruise ships and within the maritime industry.

References

  1. "Discovery Communications Timeline". Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on 2009-01-01. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
  2. [ permanent dead link ] Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
  3. "Animal Planet HD lanseras i Norden" (Press release). Canal Digital. January 9, 2009. Archived from the original on May 20, 2010.